Miniature OpenGL development Linux

zeAtShuttle zelco at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jun 1 01:14:52 EST 2007

hello,

is anyone interested in this "kind of distro" running on PowerPC?

http://one.xthost.info/zelko/opengl.html

Minimalistic GNU/Linux system, stripped down of everything, but core necessary files to compile and run OpenGL/C code. It has simplified directory structure and cleaned up internal cross referencing. Programs compiled in myOS will run on any Linux with or without X.

as you can see there, im trying to find the place where to upload it, but, meanwhile, to SEE what im talking about you can try myOS x86 version...

OR,
better yet - try these PowerPC binaries
http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/devel/demos/ppclinux/

there is 6.7Mb zip with LOTS of COOL OpenGL and other demos... game DOOM !
(drivers and everything included, just unpack & run)

--- about "myOS-ppc" -------------------------------------------------------------

in new version we use *initramfs* so the whole distro can load in ONLY 64MB of RAM,
that means some very old G3 Macs, however i still can NOT make the demos run on my test platform G3/64MB/333Mhz ...maybe because there is not enough *free* memory, and is hard to find that kind of RAM today and upgrade that Mac...

so, we would very much appreciate if you can let us know if the above OpenGL demos work on your  ppc-Linux, what is your PowerPC machine, what graphic card and how much RAM/VRAM it has?

...we're basically trying to work out minimum possible PowerPC platform,
so, if you have some embedded hardware we wonder if some of the demos would work...

but also,
some "game-station" ...well whatever is running PowerPC and Linux we would like to know if those Scitech drivers and OpenGL demos work on that platform...

list of video cards supported:
http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/snap/linux/readme-x86.txt

even, if your hardware can not "play" OpenGL or
if you are not interested in 3D, there is still the whole
miniature development platform that can be used for... whatever

main point to make it really teensy was just so it can run from "RAMDISK"
and be quick & responsive... it turned out that embedded devices of
today are more powerful than desktop computers of yesterday, so this
"kind of distro" fits easily on embedded platform...

cheers,
zelko