About mdio_bus for 82xx based board

Alexandros Kostopoulos akostop at inaccessnetworks.com
Thu Jul 26 21:24:01 EST 2007

Oops! I've just noticed in your previous mail that I need to apply the
patches to Paul's tree...Sorry 'bout that... my mistake

alex

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:42:46 +0300, Alexandros Kostopoulos
<akostop at inaccessnetworks.com> wrote:

> Hello Scott,
>
> Thanks for your response. I'm trying to apply your patches to vanilla
> 2.6.22.1 kernel, but unfortunately some patches fail, namely:
>
> patching file arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8272ads.dts
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 10.
>
> patching file arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 44.
>
> patching file arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 48.
>
> patching file arch/powerpc/platforms/Kconfig
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 19.
>
> and others, and also some patches appear to be already applied.
>
> Maybe I'm patching the wrong kernel version?
>
> thanks
>
> Alex
>
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:23:05 +0300, Scott Wood <scottwood at freescale.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 05:22:40PM +0300, Alexandros Kostopoulos wrote:
>>> 1) When mdiobus_register() called from mii-bitbang.c
>>> (fs_enet_mdio_probe()
>>> function) attemps to do a device_register for the mdio bus, it actually
>>> registers the device with a bus_id in the form [0|1|...]:<phy_addr>,
>>> that
>>> is the first part a simple integer. This, of course, happens because
>>> fs_enet_of_init() (fsl_soc.c) does a
>>> platform_device_register_simple("fsl-bb-mdio", i,  NULL, 0); with i
>>> being
>>> the first part of the bus, starting from 0. Unfortunately, when
>>> fs_init_phy() (fs_enet_main.c) calls phy_connect() and therefore
>>> phy_attach() (phy_device.c), the latter attempts to find the device in