About mdio_bus for 82xx based board

Alexandros Kostopoulos akostop at inaccessnetworks.com
Thu Jul 26 00:22:40 EST 2007

Hi all,
I'm trying to make FCC ethernet work with my board, based on an MPC8275
processor. I'm using kernel 2.6.22.1

I have the following problems:

1) When mdiobus_register() called from mii-bitbang.c (fs_enet_mdio_probe()
function) attemps to do a device_register for the mdio bus, it actually
registers the device with a bus_id in the form [0|1|...]:<phy_addr>, that
is the first part a simple integer. This, of course, happens because
fs_enet_of_init() (fsl_soc.c) does a
platform_device_register_simple("fsl-bb-mdio", i,  NULL, 0); with i being
the first part of the bus, starting from 0. Unfortunately, when
fs_init_phy() (fs_enet_main.c) calls phy_connect() and therefore
phy_attach() (phy_device.c), the latter attempts to find the device in the
mdio bus, but it searches using the bus_id registered in the net_device
struct, which is in the form of <resource address>:<phy_addr>, eg.
f0000000:0, and therefore it fails... I don't know if I am doing something
wrong here, so any hint would be greatly appreciated.

2) Since there are two ethernet@<address> nodes in my device tree,
fs_of_enet_init() calls platform_device_register_simple("fsl-bb-mdio",...)
twice, therefore creating two mdio busses, 0 and 1, each having the same
two devices. For example, if I have two PHYs with addresses 1 and 5, I
will get two mdio busses and 4 devices, 0:1, 0:5, 1:1 and 1:5. Well, this
doesn't sound right to me, although I am not sure if this is a fatal
issue. Any comments?

3) Also, if I don't want to enter the phy interrupt in the device tree
(there is not one or I want to use PHY_POLL), what should I do? dtc seems
to not allow -1 as a value in the reg property.

thank you in advance for your responses

Alex