How to add platform specific data to a of_device

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Mon Jul 16 17:40:07 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 08:51 +0200, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 06:48:53AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Your approach would work I suppose.... though it's a bit ugly.
>
> Speaking of uggly, I'm still wondering why this oftree stuff for powerpc
> must be soooo complicated. If you come from the ARM-linux world like we
> do, the whole powerpc BSP stuff looks like a completely overengineered
> piece of code, introducing complexity where it isn't necessary. But it
> may be that it's just me not knowing powerpc kernel requirements deeply
> enough :)

And I don't know anything about ARM, so let's trade uninformed
opinions ... :)

# cd arch/arm
# du -sk kernel/ mach-* | sort -nk 1
16      mach-l7200
16      mach-s3c2400
24      mach-clps7500
24      mach-s3c2442
32      mach-iop33x
32      mach-rpc
32      mach-shark
36      mach-ebsa110
40      mach-aaec2000
48      mach-h720x
48      mach-ks8695
52      mach-iop32x
56      mach-davinci
60      mach-ixp23xx
60      mach-ns9xxx
60      mach-s3c2443
68      mach-clps711x
68      mach-s3c2412
72      mach-netx
72      mach-realview
72      mach-versatile
76      mach-s3c2440
80      mach-ep93xx
80      mach-imx
88      mach-ixp2000
96      mach-iop13xx
96      mach-lh7a40x
108     mach-pnx4008
124     mach-footbridge
124     mach-integrator
140     mach-ixp4xx
140     mach-s3c2410
252     mach-sa1100
272     mach-omap2
296     mach-omap1
296     mach-pxa
332     mach-at91
428     kernel/

# cd arch/powerpc
# du -sk kernel/ sysdev/ platforms/* | sort -nk 1
8       platforms/prep
12      platforms/4xx
24      platforms/44x
40      platforms/82xx
44      platforms/86xx
52      platforms/8xx
52      platforms/embedded6xx
56      platforms/maple
60      platforms/83xx
64      platforms/85xx
64      platforms/chrp
72      platforms/52xx
72      platforms/pasemi
140     platforms/celleb
212     platforms/ps3
280     platforms/iseries
300     platforms/pseries
412     platforms/powermac
412     sysdev/
544     platforms/cell		(spufs shared with ps3 (and celleb?))
1636    kernel/

Not to mention that ~8 of those platforms can be built into a single
vmlinux that will boot on any of the supported machines, including five
different hypervisors.

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
OzLabs, IBM Australia Development Lab

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person