[patch 5/6] ps3: BD/DVD/CD-ROM Storage Driver

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Sat Jul 14 06:13:27 EST 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 17:10 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > I'm pretty sure that no ppc64 machine needs alias resolution in the kernel,
> > > although some are VIPT. Last time we discussed this, Segher explained it
> > > to me, but I don't remember which way Cell does it. IIRC, it automatically
> > > flushes cache lines that are accessed through aliases.
> >
> > Thanks for confirming!
> >
> > > It's probably a good idea to have the flush_kernel_dcache_page() in there
> > > anyway, if only to serve as an example for people that copy it into
> > > architecture-independent drivers, same as what we do for the
> > > k{,un}map_atomic() that is also not required on ppc64.
> >
> > Now my next question: why should I add it, if currently no single driver in
> > mainline calls flush_kernel_dcache_page()?
> >
> > `git grep' finds it in the following files only:
> >     Documentation/cachetlb.txt
> >     arch/parisc/kernel/cache.c
> >     arch/parisc/kernel/pacache.S
> >     include/asm-parisc/cacheflush.h
> >     include/linux/highmem.h
>
> It's a recent addition to the API ... the previous way of doing it was
> flush_dcache_page() but that's expensive and flushes all the user
> aliases.  Since you know in this case there are no current user aliases
> and you only need to flush the kernel alias, flush_kernel_dcache_page()
> was introduced as the cheaper alternative.

Ah, that explains it. flush_dcache_page() is used in some drivers.
I'll update my patches. Thanks for the comments!

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619