[patch 5/6] ps3: BD/DVD/CD-ROM Storage Driver

Jens Axboe jens.axboe at oracle.com
Sat Jul 14 00:51:26 EST 2007

On Fri, Jul 13 2007, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > >
> > > This isn't a SCSI objection, but this sequence appears several times in
> > > this driver.  It's wrong for a non-PIPT architecture (and I believe the
> > > PS3 is VIPT) because you copy into the kernel alias for the page, which
> > > dirties the line in the cache of that alias (the user alias cache line
> > > was already invalidated).  However, unless you flush the kernel alias to
> > > main memory, the user could read stale data.  The way this is supposed
> > > to be done is to do a
> > >
> > > flush_kernel_dcache_page(kaddr)
> > >
> > > before doing the kunmap.
> > >
> > > Otherwise it looks OK from the SCSI point of view.
>
> kmap() just returns page_address() on ppc64, as there's no highmem.
> kunmap() is a no-op.
>
> So technically I could just use page_address() directly, but Christoph wanted
> me to keep the kmap()/kunmap() sequence because it's considered a good
> practice.

If you have the kmap sequence there, put the flush in as well. People
copy code, you know... Or put a big comment explaining why it isn't
needed.

> > Well, even worse is that fact that it's using KM_USER0 from interrupt
> > context.
>
> So should I replace it by e.g. KM_IRQ0?
> I'm not so familiar with these parts, and I couldn't find what these values
> really mean.

You corrupt data, using KM_USER0 from interrupt context. So it's a big
flaw right now. Use KM_IRQ0 for code where interrupts are always
disabled.

--
Jens Axboe