idr_get_new_above() limitation?

Hoang-Nam Nguyen hnguyen at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jul 5 00:11:29 EST 2007

On Tuesday 03 July 2007 02:31, Jim Houston wrote:
> The problem is in idr_get_new_above_int() in the loop which
> adds new layers to the top of the radix tree.  It is failing
> the "layers < (MAX_LEVEL - 1)" test.  It doesn't allocate the
> new layer but still calls sub_alloc() which relies on having
> the new layer properly constructed.  I believe that it is
> allocating the slot which corresponds to id = 0.
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, I realized that while condition too and have tried with a tiny
change like (layers < MAX_LEVEL), but without success with idr_find(),
even though 6 layers were created and the object was added at proper
location. After several debug cycles I think to find the root cause
in the if-condition in idr_find():
void *idr_find(struct idr *idp, int id)
{
	int n;
	struct idr_layer *p;

	n = idp->layers * IDR_BITS;
	p = idp->top;

	/* Mask off upper bits we don't use for the search. */
	id &= MAX_ID_MASK;

	if (id >= (1 << n))
		return NULL;
}
Since idp->layers is now 6, n is equal 36, ie out of 32-bit-range,
and therefore
	(1 << n) = (1 << 36) = 0
causing that if-cond to be true ie idr_find() fails.
Replacing that if-line by
	if ((long)id >= (1L << n))
makes idr_find() working properly until MAX_ID_MASK.
Since there are other places to be changed like above as well eg.
idr_replace() and because you're creating a patch too, I'm waiting
first for your comment. Let me know if you prefer me to send a
patch.
Regards
Nam