options for root file system for MPC8548

Morrison, Tom tmorrison at empirix.com
Wed Jan 31 09:42:08 EST 2007

You are quick with the questions...:-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Kumar Gala [mailto:galak at kernel.crashing.org]
Subject: Re: options for root file system for MPC8548

On Jan 30, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Morrison, Tom wrote:
<snip intro>
> We do NOT want to use LTIB (supplied by Freescale) to create one
> (for multiple reasons - including the same as ELDK).

Can you elaborate on what issues you have with ELDK/LTIB, is it just
package support?  If so it might be useful for the developers to know
what packages you're interested in.  Or if there are other issues
with them.

LTIB uses busybox and in general seems very limited in its support
(as well as currently backdated in terms of kernel support).
ELDK has an incredible set of packages that it supports, but
things like many of the scripting languages support (e.g.: PERL),
additional security libraries(e.g.: ipsec), general network
libraries (e.g.: libpcap), and some network utilities (e.g.: wget).

Individually, none of these are serious, but altogether it's a lot
to manage - if I had 1 stop shopping, I might go there instead of
with the ever incredible ELDK!

<snip rest>