please: linux-2.5-20 -rc2 16550 serial console problem

Suresh Chandra Mannava boardbringup at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 03:50:50 EST 2007

Hi All,
I am working on porting linux-2.6.20-rc2 (DENX) kernel to our board. It
consists of powerpc MPC7410, IBM CPC700 system controller and couple of AMD
79C972 network chips.
I am using gcc version 4.0.0 (DENX ELDK 4.0 4.0.0) cross compiler for this
task.
I followed IBM spruce which consists of CPC700. CPC700 serial port is 16550
compatible.
I can see printk's  on serial console till "Freeing unused kernel memory",
this happens before starting of init.
I enabled debug statements in 8250.c and found some messages "like
serial8250_interrupt(3)...end" and kernel freezes ( I attached serial
console messages). ttyS0 is using interrupt 3.

I assume it is not a tool chain or ramdisk image problem because I ported
linux-2.4 (DENX) with the same tool chain and ramdisk image.
Serial console is working fine in linux-2.4.

I request you to provide some pointers for the same.

Thanks,
Suresh