[patch][5/5] powerpc: Add the general support for Embedded Floating-Point instructions

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Jan 13 05:57:36 EST 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 3:52 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 01:31:02PM +0800, ebony.zhu at freescale.com
> wrote:
>> +ifeq ($(CONFIG_SPE),y)
>> +ifneq ($(CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION),y)
>> +core-y				+= arch/powerpc/math-emu/
>> +endif
>> +endif
>>  core-$(CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION)	+= arch/powerpc/math-emu/
>
> This statement doesn't make any sense.  I guess you always want to
> build arch/powerpc/math-emu if CONFIG_SPE is set, right?  The proper
> way to do that is to force CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION in the Kconfig.
>
> Then again we need a really good explanation why CONFIG_SPE should
> force the math emulation to be built.

I'm a little confused if there is a question about the approach
taken?  Are you asking is there some way of doing the exception
handling w/o fully emulating the instruction?

Agree that the build system modifications in this patch set need some
fixing, just trying to understand if there is a larger design query
here or not?

- k