Make sure we populate the initroot filesystem late enough

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Tue Feb 27 09:27:24 EST 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:27:47AM -0800, john stultz wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 19:00 -0500, David Woodhouse wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 20:59 +0000, Linux Kernel Mailing List wrote:
> >>
> >>     Make sure we populate the initroot filesystem late enough

>> This seems to be what's triggering the apparent memory corruption we've
>> been seeing recently -- in the case of the Fedora kernel it manifests
>> itself as a BUG() in cache_alloc_refill() when the pmac ide driver
>> initialises.
>>
>> Another report was at http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/17/4
>>
>> We've been seeing it on a Mac Mini too, and I managed to reproduce it on
>> my shinybook this evening by booting with 'mem=512M'.

> Just for reference (as its not in the thread linked above), this issue
> disappeared for me after some config changes (I somehow changed my
> selection when I backtracked and then moved forward w/ git bisect).

> I've not been able to reproduce it since, but I know others (BCC'ed on
> this note) have seen it and might prod them to come forth with details
> (and broken .config files)

In my case, disabling CPU_FREQ_PMAC made the failure go away.
After reverting this patch, CPU_FREQ_PMAC is once again operating
successfully, so far.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/