[RFC 3/3] zImage: Exception vector support

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Feb 21 03:02:11 EST 2007

> +ps3)
> +    platformo="$object/head.o $object/ps3-hvcall.o $object/ps3.o"
> +    ;;
>
> Having those vectors makes a 4MB dead gap in the binary image.  The
> ps3's
> loader supports a gziped image so there is no problem, but for the
> general
> case of binary images, there is no way we can have those always in
> there.

If this is an ELF file, you can put the exception vectors in a
separate segment.  Or if you don't need the entry point to
be in the low region, (and you don't need that unless your
boot loader ignores the entry point in the ELF header), you can
copy the vectors in at startup and have no code linked at 0 at
all.

Segher