macros and dtc

Dan Malek dan at embeddedalley.com
Tue Feb 20 05:07:32 EST 2007

On Feb 18, 2007, at 11:58 AM, Kumar Gala wrote:

> After spending some time this weekend cleaning up dts files I figured
> it would be nice if we can some to consensus on how we are going to
> do macro support.

I'm not sure I'd like to use macros.  I can understand the case
today where we are still changing too many things that a
macro would be nice, but at some point this has to settle down.
There isn't that much information in the file, and I prefer to
see all of it clearly rather than locating macros to wonder
how they need to be invoked.

> There is clearly a lot of duplication between
> dts's and it only gets worse when you add in slight variations for
> revs of boards.

Of the few boards for which I've had to create new dts
files, I wonder how the macros would work.  Although the
variations are slight, there are many variables.  A macro
is going to have to allow nearly all of the property information
as parameters, so what's the big savings?  If you are
just using them to avoid syntax, then perhaps we should
have chosen a different syntax? :-)  I think a macro with
lots of parameters is more confusing than the syntax
we currently use.

I could envision using something like cpp with #include
to get some standard SOC block properties, but macros
that try to account for board variations could be quite
complex.

Thanks.

	-- Dan