[Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC, PATCH] CELL Oprofile SPU profiling updated patch

Maynard Johnson maynardj at us.ibm.com
Sat Feb 17 08:43:31 EST 2007

Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Friday 16 February 2007 01:32, Maynard Johnson wrote:
>
>>config OPROFILE_CELL
>>        bool "OProfile for Cell Broadband Engine"
>>        depends on OPROFILE && SPU_FS
>>        default y if ((SPU_FS = y && OPROFILE = y) || (SPU_FS = m &&
>>OPROFILE = m))
>>        help
>>          Profiling of Cell BE SPUs requires special support enabled
>>          by this option.  Both SPU_FS and OPROFILE options must be
>>          set 'y' or both be set 'm'.
>>=============
>>
>>Can anyone see a problem with any of this . . . or perhaps a suggestion
>>of a better way?
>

> The text suggests it doesn't allow SPU_FS=y with OPROFILE=m, which I think
> should be allowed.
Right, good catch.  I'll add another OR to the 'default y' and correct
the text.

 > I also don't see any place in the code where you actually
> use CONFIG_OPROFILE_CELL.
As I mentioned, I will use CONFIG_OPROFILE_CELL in the
arch/powerpc/oprofile/Makefile as follows:
      oprofile-$(CONFIG_OPROFILE_CELL) += op_model_cell.o \
               cell/spu_profiler.o cell/vma_map.o cell/spu_task_sync.o

> Ideally, you should be able to have an oprofile_spu module that can be
> loaded after spufs.ko and oprofile.ko. In that case you only need
>
> config OPROFILE_SPU
> 	depends on OPROFILE && SPU_FS
> 	default y
>
> and it will automatically build oprofile_spu as a module if one of the two
> is a module and won't build it if one of them is disabled.
Hmmm . . . I guess that would entail splitting out the SPU-related stuff
from op_model_cell.c into a new file.  Maybe more -- that's just what
comes to mind right now.  Could be very tricky, and I wonder if it's
worth the bother.