MPC85xx git branch - problem with Marvel SATA driver...

Morrison, Tom tmorrison at empirix.com
Sat Feb 17 07:25:10 EST 2007

I am looking for ideas here about a problem I am having.

I am working with a new git branch that is supposed to PCI Express on
the CDS.

I have a MPC8548E CDS system plugged into an Arcadia motherboard. I

have a PCI Marvel Sata Card plugged into the same Arcadia mother board.

The driver works flawless when there is NO actual SATA Drive plugged
into

this card (the sata_mv driver recognizes and enumerates the ports on
marvel card).

The problem comes when I plug a SATA drive into one of the SATA ports on
this card.

When I boot the kernel after doing this and as the sata/ata driver
starts probing the

Sata card/jport for devices - it jumps off to 'never never land' (never
returns from the

second write flush of the control register (writing 0x301 to SCR_CONTROL
(and

reading it  back) and then writing 0x300 to same register - it never
actually returns

from the writefl of that 0x300 value  to the SCR_Control.

FWIW, I have cross ported this driver (and its slightly different ata
infrastructure to a

x86 platform (running a 2.6.19.x kernel) and it does work in that
environment . Further,

I have cross ported the original working 2.6.19.1 driver to this git
branch - and it fails

in exactly the same spot.

It smells that there is some type of interrupt / configuration mismatch
for the PCI bus for the

CDS that is executed upon this probe sequence of a valid SATA/ATA Port?

Has anyone experienced this problem themselves? What can I do? Thanks in
advance

for all of your support!

Tom Morrison
Principal Software Engineer