[0/16] Preliminary Ebony (440GP) support for arch/powerpc

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Feb 15 03:06:23 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 09:46 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 17:09 +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> > Here is a preliminary set of patches implementing support for the
> > 440GP based Ebony evaluation board in arch/powerpc.  A number of the
> > earlier patches are in Paul's queue already, so may appear in
> > powerpc.git at any point.  Most of the later ones need at least some
> > cleanup or reworking before they'll be ready for merging.
> >
> > With these patches I can boot to a shell prompt on initrd on my Ebony
> > board.  There are still a bunch of problems: clock timings are way out
> > (runs about 4* fast), things freeze up when I attempt to use an
> > nfsroot, many devices aren't supported.  A lot of things are hardcoded
> > in the device tree, so you may well have to tweak it if your Ebony is
> > different from mine.
>
> I've noticed a couple issues so far on my board, which should just be a
> stock Ebony.
>
> 1) Things are off when just using the zImage.ebony image.  For reasons
> I've yet to narrow down, the bootwrapper thinks something passed an
> initrd to it via the a2 parameter in prep_kernel even though there is no
> initrd.  I get output like:

I still have this issue, just haven't had a chance to figure out why
yet.  Likely because the openbios code is leaving garbage somewhere.

> 2) I get no boot output after the "Finalizing device tree..." step.  I
> don't have a BDI or RW at the moment, but I'll try and figure out where
> it's at and what it's doing.

After turning on the early debug stuff (once I got it to compile) I get
output of the kernel boot.  Without that enabled however, I get no
kernel boot messages.

josh