mac-address vs. local-mac-address

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Feb 8 09:14:58 EST 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 4:07 PM, Timur Tabi wrote:

> Kumar Gala wrote:
>
>> The problem with u-boot is that the correct way would be to use
>> local-mac-address for what's compiled into u-boot and mac-address
>> if someone does a 'setenv' to modify the mac address.  The
>> question is anyone really going to care that much.
>
> I don't think the compiled-in MAC address should be used at all.
>
> For most boards, the compiled-in option is just some random MAC
> address.  When the board is shipped, the manufacturer creates his
> own set of environment variables and overrides what's stored on flash.

And where does the mfg store these?

> I actually think that storing a MAC address in a board
> configuration for or a DTS is a bad idea, because MAC addresses are
> supposed to be unique for each Ethernet device, and storing a fixed
> value in a source file breaks that. However, that's a separate
> issue.  I was just trying to stress that the compiled-in MAC
> address is of no value.

Ok, so 'compiled-in' wasn't the best choice.  What I meant is 'local-
mac-address' is the MAC address u-boot decides to use when it boots
before any user interaction.  (this may be the compiled-in one, or
one from flash env settings, or whatever other source the board code
decides).

- k