[Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC, PATCH 4/4] Add support to OProfile for profiling Cell BE SPUs -- update

Maynard Johnson maynardj at us.ibm.com
Mon Feb 5 04:33:46 EST 2007

Arnd Bergmann wrote:

>On Sunday 04 February 2007 00:49, Maynard Johnson wrote:
>

>>I seem to recall looking at this option a while back, but didn't go that
>>route since struct spu_context is opaque to me.  With such a teqnique, I
>>could then use a simple 16-element array of  pointers to cached_info
>>objects, creating them as needed when spu_context->profile_private is
>>NULL.  I suppose the better option for now is to add a
>>get_profile_private() function to SPUFs, rather than requiring
>>spu_context to be visible.
>>

>Yes, that sounds good. Note that the file providing the
>spufs_get_profile_private (and respective spufs_set_profile_private)
>functions needs to be compiled into the kernel then in case oprofile
>gets linked in but spufs is a module.

Hmm . . . we already depend on the register/unregister functions in
sched.c, so my patch changes the oprofile Kconfig to default to 'm' and
'depends on SPU_FS'.

>I think it would also be necessary to have another interface for cleaning
>up this data when spufs destroys the context. That could possibly
>a variation of the existing notifier call, or a new call, or you
>establish the convention that if the private pointer is non-NULL,
>spufs will kfree it.

Yes, I was thnking along the lines of your last suggestion.  I presume
OProfile gets notified (object_id == 0) before the context is actually
destroyed.  At that time, we would NULL-out the reference to the
cached_info, so then SPUFS would kfree it at destroy time.

-Maynard