[Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC, PATCH 4/4] Add support to OProfile for profiling Cell BE SPUs -- update

Maynard Johnson maynardj at us.ibm.com
Sun Feb 4 10:49:00 EST 2007

Arnd Bergmann wrote:

>On Monday 29 January 2007 20:48, Maynard Johnson wrote:
>

>>Subject: Add support to OProfile for profiling Cell BE SPUs

[snip]

>>+ *
>>+ * Ideally, we would like to be able to create the cached_info for
>>+ * an SPU task just one time -- when libspe first loads the SPU
>>+ * binary file.  We would store the cached_info in a list.  Then, as
>>+ * SPU tasks are switched out and new ones switched in, the cached_info
>>+ * for inactive tasks would be kept, and the active one would be placed
>>+ * at the head of the list.  But this technique may not with
>>+ * current spufs functionality since the spu used in bind_context may
>>+ * be a different spu than was used in a previous bind_context for a
>>+ * reactivated SPU task.  Additionally, a reactivated SPU task may be
>>+ * assigned to run on a different physical SPE.  We will investigate
>>+ * further if this can be done.
>>+ *
>>+ */
>>

>You should stuff a pointer to cached_info into struct spu_context,
>e.g. 'void *profile_private'.

I seem to recall looking at this option a while back, but didn't go that
route since struct spu_context is opaque to me.  With such a teqnique, I
could then use a simple 16-element array of  pointers to cached_info
objects, creating them as needed when spu_context->profile_private is
NULL.  I suppose the better option for now is to add a
get_profile_private() function to SPUFs, rather than requiring
spu_context to be visible.  Don't know why I didn't think to do that
before.  Ah, well, live and learn.

-Maynard