[Cbe-oss-dev] [RFC, PATCH 4/4] Add support to OProfile for profiling Cell BE SPUs -- update

Maynard Johnson maynardj at us.ibm.com
Sat Feb 3 03:47:29 EST 2007

Arnd Bergmann wrote:

>>>The sample data is written out to the event buffer on every profiling
>>>interrupt.  But we don't write out the SPU program counter samples
>>>directly to the event buffer.  First, we have to find the cached_info
>>>for the appropriate SPU context to retrieve the cached vma-to-fileoffset
>>>map.  Then we do the vma_map_lookup to find the fileoffset corresponding
>>>to the SPU PC sample, which we then write out to the event buffer.  This
>>>is one of the most time-critical pieces of the SPU profiling code, so I
>>>used an array to hold the cached_info for fast random access.  But as I
>>>stated in a code comment above, the negative implication of this current
>>>implementation is that the array can only hold the cached_info for
>>>currently running SPU tasks.  I need to give this some more thought.
>>
>>I've given this some more thought, and I'm coming to the conclusion that
>>a pure array-based implementation for holding cached_info (getting rid
>>of the lists) would work well for the vast majority of cases in which
>>OProfile will be used.  Yes, it is true that the mapping of an SPU
>>context to a phsyical spu-numbered array location cannot be guaranteed
>>to stay valid, and that's why I discard the cached_info at that array
>>location when the SPU task is switched out.  Yes, it would be terribly
>>inefficient if the same SPU task gets switched back in later and we
>>would have to recreate the cached_info.  However, I contend that
>>OProfile users are interested in profiling one application at a time.
>>They are not going to want to muddy the waters with multiple SPU apps
>>running at the same time.  I can't think of any reason why someone would
>>conscisouly choose to do that.
>>
>>Any thoughts from the general community, especially OProfile users?
>>

> Please assume that in the near future we will be scheduling SPU contexts
> in and out multiple times a second. Even in a single application, you
> can easily have more contexts than you have physical SPUs.
Arnd, thanks for pointing this out.  That's definitely a good reason why
my simplistic approach won't work.  I'll look at other options.

> The event buffer by definition needs to be per context. If you for some
Yes, and it is.  Right now, with the current simplistic approach, the
context and the physical SPU are kept in sync.
> reason want to collect the samples per physical SPU during an event
> interrupt, you should at least make sure that they are copied into the
> per-context event buffer on a context switch.
>
> At the context switch point, you probably also want to drain the
> hw event counters, so that you account all events correctly.
Yeah, that's a good idea.  The few extraneous invalid samples would
probably never rise above the noise level, but we should do this anyway
for completeness.

> We also want to be able to profile the context switch code itself, which
> means that we also need one event buffer associated with the kernel to
> collect events that for a zero context_id.
The hardware design precludes tracing both SPU and PPU simultaneously.

-Maynard