Multicast problem on MPC8272ADS

Vikram Dhir vpd.84 at rediffmail.com
Fri Feb 2 17:58:25 EST 2007

Hi,

I have written a multicast test application in which there is a multicast sender and receiver. The multicast sender sends multicast packets on a specified interface and the multicast receiver receives multicast packets. I have tested this application on my network with x86 machines. But when I run a multicast receiver (which has been cross compiled for MPC8272ADS) on my MPC board, it is unable to receive multicast packets (the recvfrom call is waiting for ever for packets to arrive). The MPC board is able to send multicast packets to without any problems. The /proc/net/dev_mcast shows the appropriate entries for the multicast address being enabled for the interface of interest(esentially group joining appear to work).

My configuration is a MPC8272ADS board with Linux Kernel 2.6.16.34 and I m using the Freescale Ethernet driver, with ethernet using FCC(with multicast enabled). rp_filter =0 for all interfaces (ie no source filtering).

I am wondering where the problem could be, configurations or the ethernet driver itself? Are there some known issues with the freescale ethernet driver that comes with the Linux Kernel?

By the way with loopback enabled the reception of packets works in case the sender and receiver are on the same machine [as expected].

vpd