options for root file system for MPC8548

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Thu Feb 1 07:52:54 EST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 17:14, Morrison, Tom wrote:

> they have full MPC8548 support...and fwiw, the
> standard fedora & debian ppc is incompatible
> with the e500 core (throws floating point
> exceptions - due to different FP instruction set)...
>
> I like their update support...
>
> and fyi, freescale already turns on software emulation
> in their kernel CDS support package by default. We
> intend to turn that OFF very soon!

Why?  Maybe I'm blanking on something obvious, here, but the code
doesn't hurt you if it's on.  But the slightest mistake in building
an application could lead to a crash if it's off.  We try to make
sure our toolchains don't produce classic fp instructions, but you
can easily use the wrong compiler, or grab a library that left in a
mtfpscr or something.  If FP emulation is on, that won't really
affect performance, and it will mean your program doesn't crash at
random.

And I'd like to reaffirm Stuart's points that you don't have to use
Busy Box, or the built-in kernel.  The kernel and Root FS should be
almost entirely independent (breaking user-space is considered a bug).

Andy