[patch 1/2] powerpc: rmb fix

Nick Piggin npiggin at suse.de
Wed Aug 22 13:55:39 EST 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 05:29:50AM +0200, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> >>The I/O accessor functions enforce the necessary ordering
> >>already I believe.
> >
> >Ah, it looks like you might be right, IO should appear to go in-order,
> >in
> >which case the rmb() would simply need to order cacheable loads.
> >Interesting
> >way to do things... are drivers simply not up to scratch enough to
> >allow
> >out of order IO?
>
> The powerpc kernel needs to have full sync insns in every I/O
> accessor in order to enforce all the ordering rules Linux demands.
> It's a bloody shame, but the alternative would be to make the
> barriers lots more expensive.  A third alternative would be to

Well lots more expensive compared to what you have now. But what
you have now is like having those expensive barriers between
*every* io access.

> have barrier ops that do not order everything, but just A vs. B
> for various choices of A and B (coherent accesses, MMIO accesses,
> etc.)

The non-smp_ variant is supposed to order everything, AFAIK. Maybe
you could get more fancy and have PIO vs MMIO etc etc. but it looks
like this whole area is in a pretty sticky state anyway so let's
not think about that.

> >Anyway, this raises another question -- if IO accessors have the right
> >ordering, why is wmb() not an lwsync as well? There appears to be many
> >more wmb() calls than rmb()...
>
> Input MMIO accessors are {sync, load, stall pipeline until load came
> back}.
> That's a full ordering on both sides.
>
> Output MMIO on the other hand is done with {sync, store}.  Now since
> wmb() has to order MMIO writes vs. main memory writes, we need a full
> sync here.  On some (most, all?) CPUs an eieio is actually enough btw.
> The barrier insn could be put at the end of all MMIO write ops too,
> but I believe that would be more expensive (in execution time; in code
> size it definitely would be, of course).

Ah, that explains why wmb() is a sync. Doesn't seem like a very good
idea though, if the rationale of having fully ordered IO accessors was
because drivers didn't have enough barriers in them.