Patches for ppc?

Phil Terry pterry at micromemory.com
Wed Aug 22 02:11:24 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 17:14 +0200, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > It's not a question of indivudual files being copied over - things are
> > done differently in arch/powerpc.  Things are gradually being ported
> > over to arch/powerpc as people get the time - that's why arch/ppc
> > isn't gone yet.
>
> And to be blunt, one of the points of arch/powerpc vs. arch/ppc is
> to actually leave behind some stuff.  "If no one ports it, no one
> wants it".

So am I alone in getting a mixed message from "Linux community" to
"embedded community"?

On the one hand we have people like GKH telling embedded people to stop
being private company/device specific forks but to submit their hardware
to the tree where it will be supported "for free" by the kernel hackers,
saving us the "chore" of supporting "our" code through all the kernel
changes and forever chasing it.

On the other hand we have people telling us that because we are too lazy
to support "our" code the kernel guys aren't going to pull it forward
for us.

So in fact people 3rd party people like me are in between real problems,
we base our code on say a Freescale chip, who submit to the kernel to
save their support issues and we base our code on that. Now, the
Freescale guys are too busy porting their "latest" chips across the
PPC/Powerpc divide to port the "old" stuff so it gets "left behind".
That old stuff is still selling and the people who based code on it had
the expectation that the code would continue to be supported. So now I'm
being told not only to "port my stuff or lose it" but now also port
freescale's stuff or lose it.

And then we get beaten up because we "stayed" with "ancient stuff" like
2.6.21!!!

Not picking on Freescale, or Segher, just trying to wave the flag, lots
of people want it, they are just not all in a position to save it
because we "embedded" people are by nature a fractured community of
niche players with products that don't turn over with out customers
every six months, some people will want to buy a product for years...

And yes I do understand the "Linux kernel hackers are nothing more than
a group of diverse people from many companies so why is embedded any
different" argument, I just don't have an answer right now other than it
is.

Cheers
Phil