System crash on boot_e500.S

mike zheng mail4mz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 07:23:43 EST 2007

On 8/15/07, Scott Wood <scottwood at freescale.com> wrote:

> mike zheng wrote:
> > Unfortunately, all the applications are running on 2.4 kernel. I can not
> > just throw the 2.4 kernel.
>
> And in what way does 2.6 break these applications?

All the device drivers are based on 2.4 kernel. We plan to upgrade to 2.6 in
the middle of next year.

> I took the some core specific code from
> > ppc.bkbits.net, such as head_e500.S and mpc85xx_cds_common.c. I assume
> the
> > image should work on the 8548 CDS board, or at least for the bootup. I
> shall
> > able to have the serial port working in platform_init(). However , the
> > code stops in the head_e500.S. This does not make any sense. Please
> correct
> > me if I am wrong.
>
> Of course it makes sense -- you can't just go around ripping random
> files from a codebase, sticking them in a version from several years
> earlier, and expecting it to "just work".

All those files are e500 core specific. When we use bootm from Uboot to
start the kernel, head_e500.S is first file being called, and then the
mpc85xx_cds_common.c. I also merged some BOOKE related include files into
our source tree as well.

Our 2.4 kernel version is different from ppc.bkbits.net. I did not expect it
"just work". However the serial console should come out when platform_init()
called. Everything before that is the same for any processor with e500 core.

> Any suggest or comment is welcome, I am struggling with this issue for
> > almost one week...... :-(
>
> How long would you have struggled with getting your applications running
> on a more recent kernel instead?

Don't know, maybe 16 weeks. That is out of my control. I only deal with the
kernel.....:-)

-Scott