DTC 1.0.0 Release Coming?

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Sat Aug 11 08:24:42 EST 2007

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

>>> Can you elaborate why you decided not to?  I'm just curious.
>>
>> We decided that since a formal dtc release was imminent, it would be
>> simpler to make dtc a new kernel build requirement,
>
> For _all_ kernel builds?  Most people building a powerpc
> kernel don't need it.

The dtc is run from the wrapper script, so if you build for a platform
that uses a dts source file, then you'll need the dtc.  If you don't
build for one of those platforms, then you won't needed it.

So a 'make allXXXconfig' needs the dtc to be installed since it
builds platforms that use dts source files.

-Geoff