ipv6 in yaboot

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Aug 7 04:42:35 EST 2007

>> The network address is passed to OF as (part of) the device
>> argument for the network device; and colons aren't legal
>> characters in a device argument,
>
> yeah, pretty thoughtless of the IETF for not consulting the 1275WG. :)

Heh.  That's not an issue; it just means that OF implementations
need to use a (slightly) different spelling for IPV6 addresses.
However, see below.

>> so any OF implementation that
>> would use colons in IPv6 addresses is terminally broken.
>
> Ok.  What is your proposed resolution that does not violate the rfcs?
> Namely RFCs 3986, 4038, and especially 4291.

Quotes from those RFCs would have been helpful.

>> This
>> is completely analogous to the fact that filesystem paths cannot
>> use forward slashes.  (The third disallowed character is the
>> at-sign, for completeness).
>
> Not really.  I don't expect to the the "device path" contain any ipv6
> info.  Just the parameters that follow on the end,

There can be parameters at *any* path component though, not just
the final component.  It isn't too farfetched to imagine devices as
child devices under a network device IMHO.  Not the common case, sure.

> There is no ppc64 OFW that supports this yet, but a version is
> expected soon.

There is an x86 OFW that supports it now.  Some good news, too:

The requirement for device arguments to not contain colons or
at-signs has been deemed overly strict, since any defined use
for those arguments should follow the path resolution algorithm
that is spelled out in the specification itself; and that algorithm
can deal with it just fine.  Therefore, it now is an (unpublished :-) )
recommended practice for OF implementations to allow it.

Forward slashes are right out, though :-)

> BTW, I don't really have any real input into how the OFW is designed,
> just try to adapt to what is implemented.

Yeah I understand :-)

Segher