[patch 00/14] Current 4xx patch series

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 3 10:26:52 EST 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 08:38:16AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 16:39 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >
> > Someone brought up the fact that the EMAC rewrite is mostly just
> > changing probing code and the guts are still similar to the current
> > EMAC driver.  I haven't really looked into it yet, but if that's true,
> > I'd be curious as to why it was done that way.
>
> Ask :-) What specifically do you want to know ?

:)

Are the guts mostly the same, and if so why wasn't the existing driver just
modified to do the device tree probing, perhaps in addition to the arch/ppc
method?

I can answer the "are they similar" myself with inspection, but I just haven't
found the time yet.  So just some history about the patch would be good in
general I think.

josh