Kernel Panic booting cdrom

David Huffman dhuffman at storix.com
Sat Apr 21 07:05:11 EST 2007

Nathan,

I think I determined why I received a kernel panic and the numa=off
argument fixed the problem. When we boot from cdrom we specify maxcpus=1
as a kernel argument. A system with numa enabled fails.  I plan on
adding numa=off whenever I use maxcpus=1, but I wonder if you could
answer a question for me.

I originally was told that in the case where I am booting a basic system
into an initrd instead of in normal mode, I should use maxcpus=1 because
there may be power and cooling daemons that are not running and try to
limit the system resources by limiting the number of cpus. Does this
sound right? I can successfully boot a cdrom without the maxcpus flag on
an SMP system but maybe it is typically not a good idea?

I can prevent the kernel panics by removing maxcpus=1 and not adding
numa=off. I am a little more informed about numa (now), but I am fuzzy
as to all the implications with allowing more cpus for cdrom install
media. The maxcpus=1 argument was something we added to our install boot
media years ago and few here remember why it was such a great idea. The
power/resource management was the only thing we could come up with.

David Huffman
Storix, Inc