qla_wxyz pci_set_mwi question

Randy Dunlap randy.dunlap at oracle.com
Fri Apr 13 12:40:42 EST 2007

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 14:04 -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>>> I believe there were some erratas on some ISP2xxx chips where MWI
>>> needed to be set for proper operation.  I'll go back, verify and
>>> update the patch accordingly.
>> Hmm.  The thing is that pci_set_mwi() returns success on machines where
>> MWI is disabled (currently only PPC64).  Perhaps it needs to fail
>> instead.
>
> MWI isn't diabled on ppc64... or did I miss something ?
>
> Ben.

Willy was referring to this from include/asm-powerpc/pci.h:

#ifdef CONFIG_PPC64

/*
 * We want to avoid touching the cacheline size or MWI bit.
 * pSeries firmware sets the cacheline size (which is not the cpu cacheline
 * size in all cases) and hardware treats MWI the same as memory write.
 */
#define PCI_DISABLE_MWI

which makes pci_set_mwi() do nothing other than return 0;

--
~Randy