[patch 3/3] cell: prevent alignment interrupt on local store

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Apr 12 07:03:28 EST 2007

>>> I would personally prefer building the entire kernel with -mno-string
>>> when cell support is enabled...
>>
>> I'm about to resend the patch which prevent alignment interrupts on LS
>> by using memcpy_fromio() rather than putting a collection of -mno-*
>> options
>> in Makefile. (only -mno-string is not enough to prevent that as
>> Segher said)
>
> Sure, however we also know for sure that string instructions will suck
> LOT on a cell ... so for a multi platforms kernel that has cell support
> built-in, it makes some sense to not use them.

[That's a separate issue and should be handled as a
separate patch series.]

Not only string insns are slow on the current Cell core,
many more insns are, including all dot insns; and those
are way more expensive in comparison.  Turning off
generation of string insns only won't help Cell much.

Building a multiplatform kernel with all the insns that
are expensive on Cell turned off will hurt a lot on most
other CPUs.

This isn't just a kernel issue either; the same holds
for all of userspace.  It seems to me the only way to
get good performance on both Cell and all other platforms
is to have a separate binary distribution for Cell.

Segher