Cannot open ramdisk

Chris West chrisw at cristie.com
Tue Apr 10 21:16:09 EST 2007

Hi,

I have a problem with booting a kernel and ramdisk from CDROM on pSeries 630 6E4.

I have compiled my 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 kernel with:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=16
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=65536
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_BLOCKSIZE=1024
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y

My yaboot.conf file looks like this:

init-message=linux
timeout=300
default=linux
image=ppc/chrp/kernel
        label=linux
        initrd=ppc/chrp/system
        root=/dev/ram0
        append="console=ttyS0"

My ramdisk is a compressed 64MB ext3 filesystem in /ppc/chrp/system

After the kernel has booted I get the following message:

VFS: Cannot open root device "ram0" or unknown-block(1,0)

I've read that only uncompressed kernels can load a ramdisk, is this still the case?
I have tried using an uncompressed kernel with the same results.

Can anyone tell me why my ramdisk isn't being loaded?

Thanks
Chris