[RFC 3/3] powerpc: Add DTS file for the Motorola PrPMC2800 platform

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Apr 4 21:28:08 EST 2007

>> Even then, you can just query the MMU structures to
>> find out the currently set up translations for that
>> physical address.  Way more robust.
>
> Yes, that is the most robust but its also more complicated.

Sure.  But if what you want to do is more complicated *anyway*
(e.g., doing a bunch of device initialisations/configurations),
misusing the quick evil hack that was meant to get debug output
out originally isn't really warranted.

>> The only valid reason to use "virtual-reg" is as a
>> hack to map some device to get some debug output out.
>
> Not true, its for more than just output.
> See my response to David's email.

I said only _valid_ reason.  I know you're using it for more
things, that's what I'm complaining about :-)

>> If for normal usage you can't be bothered to parse
>> the current translations, you probably shouldn't be
>> doing anything as "advanced" as device I/O either --
>> just boot the kernel and let it handle it ;-)
>
> Well, the overall idea is that we remove boot/init related code from
> the
> kernel and leave it to the firmware or the bootwrapper (if the firmware
> doesn't provide the required functionality).

Some init belongs in the kernel, and some belongs in
the firmware; if the latter doesn't provide it, it's
a good idea to do it in the bootwrapper, yes.

> For example, the VPD code
> in .../boot/prpmc2800.c in my patches.

I cannot find those patches right now, but in general,
that kind of code belongs in the kernel (or in a run-time
firmware).

> Also, at one time there was code
> to get the MAC addr from i2c prom and stick it in the dt.  I can see
> that being fairly common for non-OF/uboot platforms.

That's useful, yes, if that I2C PROM sits somewhere away
from the enet itself (so its access cannot be put in the
driver for the enet itself).

>> That said, I sure hope the kernel isn't using this
>> property as well...
>
> It certainly shouldn't be.  Its a bootwrapper-only hack.

Good, that makes all this less severe :-)

Segher