pci error recovery procedure

Linas Vepstas linas at austin.ibm.com
Thu Sep 7 06:01:55 EST 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:26:56AM +0800, Zhang, Yanmin wrote:
> > > The
> > > error_detected of the drivers in the latest kernel who support err handlers
> > > always returns PCI_ERS_RESULT_NEED_RESET. They are typical examples.
> >
> > Just because the current drivers do it this way does not mean that this is
> > the best way to do things.
>
> If it's not the best way, why did you choose to reset slot for e1000/e100/ipr
> error handlers? They are typical widely-used devices. To make it easier to
> add error handlers?

I did it that way just to get going, get something working. I do not
have hardware specs for any of these devices, and do not have much of
an idea of what they are capable of; the recovery code I wrote is of
"brute force, hit it with a hammer"-nature.  Driver writers who
know thier hardware well, and are interested in a more refined
approach are encouraged to actualy use a more refined approach.

--linas