Please pull powerpc.git 'merge' branch

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Mon Sep 4 05:29:25 EST 2006

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > I wrote a sparse extension that warns if an initializer tries to initialize
> > the same entry multiple times.
>
>    Ugh, I expected the C compiler to catch this... :-/

Yeah, me too. The reason I wrote the sparse logic to catch it was that I
got another patch where I noticed what was going on, and the author said
he had compile-tested it without any warnings. So gcc obviously does _not_
warn about the obvious error.

>    Cut and paste error, should be .read_reg8...

Yeah, the fix is obvious, but somebody who has more knowledge about this
particular piece of code and how it would affect things should test that
the bug wasn't hiding somethign else on a piece of hardware that is
relevant to that initializer (which I don't know what it would be).

		Linus