kernel BUG in __cache_alloc_node at linux-2.6.git/mm/slab.c:3177!

Will Schmidt will_schmidt at vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 20 06:38:24 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-19-10 at 09:16 -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Paul Mackerras wrote:
>
> > Get cache descritor
>
> Attempt to allocate the first descriptor for the first cache.
>
> > __cache_alloc
>
> Attempt to allocate from the caches of node 0 (which are empty on
> bootstrap). We try to replenish the caches of node 0 which should have
> succeeded. I guess that this failed due to no pages available on
> node 0. This should not happen!

Is there a hook where we can see what/where the memory is going?  Does
it seem reasonable for all of the memory that is in node 0 to be
consumed?
Mine appears to have...
Node 0 MemTotal:       229376 kB
Node 0 MemFree:             0 kB
Node 0 MemUsed:        229376 kB

And one of Paul's earlier notes mentioned about a gig of ram on node0;

-Will