[RFC] Porting AmigaOne platform code from ppc to powerpc

Gerhard Pircher gerhard_pircher at gmx.net
Thu Oct 19 23:24:23 EST 2006

Hi!

I'm working on the AmigaOne Linux kernel port. The AmigaOne is a G3/G4 desktop system and makes use of U-boot v1.1.0 as firmware. I intend to port the current code base of this platform to the powerpc architecture, but I'm not sure how to address this.

The "problem" is the device tree required by the powerpc architecture. The AmigaOne's U-boot version doesn't support the flattened device tree yet and also requires a special flash rom programmer tool (I guess it adds some sort of dongle code to the flash rom content). Otherwise users won't be able to boot AmigaOS4. Thus using a newer U-boot version is not really an option and AFAIK the OS4 developers are not going to update their U-boot version.

Well, some time ago I read about a CUIMAGE target that can be used to get powerpc-arch kernels working on old U-boot versions by using a precompiled/static device tree. I don't think that this approch makes sense for a desktop platform, which uses different CPUs (750FX, 750GX, 7410, 7450, 7455, etc..), PCI/AGP cards, etc.

Any advice for me in this case?

Regards,

Gerhard
--
GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl