NTP time sync

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 23 06:55:23 EST 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 11:36 am, Alessandro Zummo wrote:

>  wrto the in-kernel NTP synchronization,
>  as discussed before [1], my opinion
>  is that it should be done in userland.
>
>  Keeping it in kernel implies subtle code
>  in each of the supported architectures.
>
>  So, if the arch maintainers agree,
>  I would suggest to schedule it for removal.
>
> [1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/3/28/358

Suggested time of removal: one year after two relevant software
package releases get updated:

  - NTPD, to call hwclock specifying the relevant RTC;
  - util-linux, updating hwclock to know about /dev/rtcN;
  - busybox, with its own hwclock implementation.

The util-linux hwclock update is already in the queue, I'm told.

- Dave