NTP time sync

Russell King rmk+lkml at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Nov 23 06:51:53 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 08:36:33PM +0100, Alessandro Zummo wrote:

>  wrto the in-kernel NTP synchronization,
>  as discussed before [1], my opinion
>  is that it should be done in userland.
>
>  Keeping it in kernel implies subtle code
>  in each of the supported architectures.
>
>  So, if the arch maintainers agree,
>  I would suggest to schedule it for removal.
>
> [1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/3/28/358

Fine, provided there's also a shell tool that can enquire whether the
kernel is sync'd or not.  (Currently the 11-minute update does not
occur when the kernel is desynced from a time source - the RTC itself
might be more accurate in this case.)

Throwing hwclock commands into crontab such that they do not take
note of the kernel's sync status is probably a very bad move in that
respect.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of: