[RFC/PATCH 4/7] Powerpc MSI implementation

Matthew Wilcox matthew at wil.cx
Wed Nov 8 07:44:32 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 08:14:36PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 01:07:30PM -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > We have the per-irq void *chip_data; could this be the right place to
> > keep it instead?  That way, it won't take up space in the pci_dev for
> > devices which don't use MSI.
>
> Bah.  chip_data is supposed to be __iomem.  I bet if you build ARM
> with sparse it'll kick out lots of warnings as a result of that loss.

Erm, since when?  When I introduced it (back in January 2005 [1]), it
was called handler_data and pointed to a struct which is chip-type
dependent.  One of the items in that struct is an IO address, but we
need more than that.

Now we have something else called handler_data, and I must
admit to being quite confused what the difference is.  The comment in
the header files and the DocBook genericirq leave me quite confused.

[1] http://git.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/old-2.6-bkcvs.git;a=commit;h=1dd15c35b6bc179cd9c2a47e13360052c1e938a3