Booting without Uboot on 8548E

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Tue Nov 7 08:16:55 EST 2006

On Nov 4, 2006, at 03:28, M Ptich wrote:

>> You should seriously think about porting
>> over to arch/powerpc instead.
>
> 8548E is E500v2 core. Our Kernel is from Freescale, it is using
> arch/ppc. I
> am not sure how well (if at all) E500 is supported in the arch/
> powerpc from
> the FSF ditribution.

The 8548 is supported in arch/powerpc as of 2.6.18.

But moving to arch/powerpc (while a good idea) is not going to solve
your problems.  There are bound to be a large number of things the
kernel expects to have done for it by the firmware.  In arch/powerpc,
the 8548 kernel expects PCI to be set up, for instance (We plan to
fix that, but it involves porting some code that only exists in arch/
ppc).

Andy