fixup_bigphys_addr and ioremap64 question

Matt Porter mporter at embeddedalley.com
Tue Nov 7 03:45:42 EST 2006

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 10:16:20PM -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > > It's in arch/ppc/syslib/44x_common.c and it's used to trap the least
> > > significant 32 bits of an address and set the right ERPN for io space on
> > > 44x.  Something like that might be needed when 44x merges to
> > > arch/powerpc.
> >
> > Well, my point is that since nowadays we have 64 bits struct resource
> > and 64 bits phys_addr_t passed to ioremap, do we still need that ? In
> > fact, in my upcoming patch merging io.h for 32 and 64 bits in
> > asm-powerpc, I've simply removed that hook and ioremap64 :-) I can add
> > it back still, but so far, I yet have to be convinced there is still a
> > good reason for that hook.
>
> Hm.. that might be ok.  I'm hoping to get back to working on something
> soon so I'll be able to tell more later.  Maybe Matt knows for sure.

Yes, that's the right way to go.  The history on this is that when
the 64-bit resource change came relatively recently, ioremap64 and
friends weren't killed off in arch/ppc.  ioremap64 only existed because
a long time ago several people blocked the idea of 64-bit resources
(on 32-bit platforms) and we needed a way around it plus all the
fixup garbage. Going forward, we now can handle everything through
ioremap() with no fixup stuff. There's a related issue with mmap and
64-bits but that's a separate issue yet that should now be addressed.

> It'll probably break out-of-tree drivers though once the merge happens
> for 4xx.  Could we leave ioremap64 around for a bit with a deprecation
> warning?

The kernel APIs break all the time. Every out of tree driver has to
have that built into their expectation when moving to a new kernel
so I don't see a good reason for making a special case here.

-Matt