FSL vs. IBM BookE

Dan Malek dan at embeddedalley.com
Sun Nov 5 04:24:03 EST 2006

On Nov 4, 2006, at 4:21 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> How bad are the differences between those cores ?

They are getting more different as the product families
evolve.    The common instruction paths are growing
smaller, and I think the amount of #ifdefs and patching
will make the code much more complex that just leaving
as it is.

> ...  Would it be possible
> to reconcile those and IBM 44x into a single processor family ?

I don't think it's worth while.  The amount of code isn't
that great and the differences outweigh the similarities.

> Also, I suppose we should rename head_4xx.S to head_40x.S no ?

Maybe, but we all know what they are :-)

Thanks.

	-- Dan