FSL vs. IBM BookE

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Nov 4 20:21:54 EST 2006

Out of curiosity... I noticed we have both head_44x.S and
head_fsl_booke.S, the later being a fork of the former with changed from
Kumar (and possibly others) to support E200 and E500.

How bad are the differences between those cores ? Would it be possible
to reconcile those and IBM 44x into a single processor family ? Or are
there some fundamental differences making that impossible ? (even with a
bit of CPU feature patching).

Also, I suppose we should rename head_4xx.S to head_40x.S no ?

Cheers,
Ben.