[patch 08/16] powerpc: remove EMBEDDED6xx Kconfig entry

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Nov 3 09:25:19 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 17:00 +0100, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 10:32:53AM -0500, Stephen Winiecki wrote:
> >
> >    I also have a question about 750xx platforms.  I currently am looking at
> >    adding platform code supporting IBM 750GX/CL eval boards.  Where would
> >    they go - as well as others like Buckeye/Chestnut if/when they move over
> >    to /powerpc?
>
> I don't know - Lets wait for ben and others what they say about this
> approach.
> My intention with this patch is to try and motivate people to
> integrate their machines as a part of the multiplatform support, because
> it doesn't cost a thing.

And that's a great move :) Thanks for doing that work !

> The presence of the embedded6xx entry and the entries in the directory
> itself makes people think (me too) that the multiplatform thing is only
> for the big irons. I think it's better to unify the two ways of platform
> support where it's possible.

Yes. I've been wanting to get rid of it for some time.

As for new platforms, I tend to have no problem if they just create a
directory of their own (platforms/chesnut, etc...) though in some we
might want a grab bag for boards that really only need one file...

This could be a plaforms/misc, or platforms/simple, or just have them at
the root of platforms...

Ben.