[patch 08/16] powerpc: remove EMBEDDED6xx Kconfig entry

Stephen Winiecki stevewin at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 3 07:49:01 EST 2006

Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote on 11/02/2006 11:00:09 AM:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 10:32:53AM -0500, Stephen Winiecki wrote:
> >
> >    I also have a question about 750xx platforms.  I currently am
looking at
> >    adding platform code supporting IBM 750GX/CL eval boards.  Where
would
> >    they go - as well as others like Buckeye/Chestnut if/when they move
over
> >    to /powerpc?
>
> I don't know - Lets wait for ben and others what they say about this
> approach.
> My intention with this patch is to try and motivate people to
> integrate their machines as a part of the multiplatform support, because
> it doesn't cost a thing.
> The presence of the embedded6xx entry and the entries in the directory
> itself makes people think (me too) that the multiplatform thing is only
> for the big irons. I think it's better to unify the two ways of platform
> support where it's possible.

What exactly is the intent of PPC_MULTIPLATFORM - the current desc states
"Generic desktop/server/laptop" - which doesn't exactly scream 'embedded'
to me either.  I guess I saw embedded6xx as a 'catch-all' for everything
else.

I might be missing something - but when you removed EMBEDDED6xx from
powerpc/Kconfig in patch 8, and removed MPC7448HPC2 from
embedded6xx/Kconfig in patch 6 - where did you move the MPC7448HPC2 config
section to?  Is your thought that it will depend on PPC_MULTIPLATFORM now
as well?

This may be slightly off topic - but one other thing I have noticed that
the new boot wrapper script supports specific 'types' of zImage files
associated w/ 'MUTIPLATFORMS' (PSERIES, CHRP, PREP etc.) and uImage - which
is what I think the majority of 'embedded' platforms will use by defining
CONFIG_DEFAULT_UIMAGE.  For IBM boards with PIBS just 'normal' zImage ELF
files get loaded - I'm not sure if there should be another type
defined/supported for boards which don't fit necessarily into a
PSERIES/CHRP/PREP definition and also don't use uboot -
CONFIG_DEFAULT_ZIMAGE?