[RFC/PATCH 0/8] Overhaul of virt IRQ configuration. / Kill ppc64_interrupt_controller.

Michal Ostrowski mostrows at watson.ibm.com
Tue May 30 09:08:35 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 07:28 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 16:41 -0400, Michal Ostrowski wrote:
> > The following set of patches is aimed at killing the
> > ppc64_interrupt_controller global variable, and similarly that various
> > global variables used to tweak the parameters of virtual IRQ re-mapping.
> > Instead each platform can use a single function to configure IRQ
> > re-mapping in "init_early()".
>
>  .../...
>
> Hi ! Interesting.. I've start looking at reworking that with a slightly
> different approach though...

I'm in total agreement with your assessment of where things should go.

My main motivation here was to kill ppc64_interrupt_controller and to
consolidate our knowledge of the requirements of the different platforms
into a single interface (i.e. virt_irq_config).

As such I see this patch as either a first step, or clean-up along-side,
the changes you're considering.

I did consider at first making more changes than published here; in
particular to address the offsetting issue you and Paul have commented
on.

Current code such as:

        virq = virt_irq_create_mapping(irq[0]);

        np->intrs[intrcount].line = irq_offset_up(virq);

Should be more like:

        np->intrs[intrcount].line = virt_irq_create_mapping(irq[0]);

(Where the knowledge regarding all remapping/offsetting is embedded
behind the remapping interfaces.  We should kill irq_offset_{up,down}
and replace them with things such as real_irq_to_virt() and
virt_irq_to_real().)

The patches I've sent out were not intended to deal with this, as I
wanted to keep the change set focused and small. However, things similar
to what you've outlined I've been keeping in mind as potential follow-on
work; and I had intended these patches to facilitate that.

--
Michal Ostrowski <mostrows at watson.ibm.com>