[Cbe-oss-dev] Cell and new CPU feature bits

Alex Rosenberg alex_rosenberg at playstation.sony.com
Tue May 23 05:46:23 EST 2006

On May 19, 2006, at 1:16 AM, Gabriel Paubert wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 02:07:01PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
> wrote:
>> The Cell has a couple of "features" that should be exposed to
>> userland
>> in a way or another. That raises some questions however about how
>> those
>> should be done. Among others that come to mind:
>>
>>  - The timebase errata (should we use a separate aux vector for
>> "bugs"
>> than for "features" ?
>
> Is this bug really going to be exposed in the wild or is it
> an early silicon bug that will only bite early-testers?

Is this or any other errata published somewhere? I didn't think they
were.

>>  - Additional Altivec instructions (load/store right/left). A new
>> feature bit for these ?
>
> Yes. So IBM was not happy with Altivec instructions to generate
> vsel control words and got their inspiration from MIPS?

I think you can blame Waternoose for this, not Cell.

>>  - Not strictly Cell specific but we currently don't expose the
>> support
>> for optional instructions
>>    fres and frsqte (which are supported by Cell)
>
> Should be exposed IMHO. But these instructions have been present
> in a lot of PPC processors AFAIR, they are in my original 603 and
> 604 manuals from 1994 (fsel is also marked as optional and is not
> implemented on the 601, but I'm not sure it's really supported
> anymore). I don't know about Power processors.

Our solution back at Apple was to put OF properties on the CPU node
for each optional feature. e.g. for fres and frsqrte we put
"graphics" since that's the official term for that group of optional
instructions. We also put in "data-streams" instead of presuming that
dss, etc. were always part of "altivec". These properties nicely fit
into our Gestalt() API where "ppcf" had 32 bits to describe these to
userland software.