Cell and new CPU feature bits

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Sat May 20 02:18:22 EST 2006

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 12:11:18PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Friday 19 May 2006 06:07, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >  - Extended implementation of dcbt. (Another bit ? Or sould we just have
> > a "CELL" bit ? In which case should it cover the altivec additions too
> > or are those likely to exist in future non-Cell processors ?)
>
> Isn't that already covered by PPC_FEATURE_CELL? Git log shows

First, please don't use the cell bit for this since other processors
seem to implement the same things.

Second, the quoted information is 6 months old, and seemingly stale by
now. When Paulus pushed the POWER6 patch, he switched from the notion
of it signifying processor model to being base arch version. See:

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2006-April/022525.html

(My patch to rename the existing POWER* bits to ARCH_2_* wasn't picked
up, I'll resend)

-Olof