[Alsa-devel] [RFC] alsa integer control ranges

Wolfgang Pfeiffer roto at gmx.net
Thu May 18 01:38:00 EST 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 04:55:15PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 10:53 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
>
> > Ummm... what problem is this patch fixing?
>
> The problems that
> (a) kmix, gnome-alsamixer, gnome-volume-control and others can't
>     properly use the playback volume control because it has a range
>     that doesn't start at 0

True if you only use kmix, that via 'ps ax' shows up as something like this:

[ ... ] kmix [kdeinit] -caption KMix -icon kmix -miniicon kmix

But if you - separately and additionally - add the "Sound Mixer"
applet to the KDE kicker (the panel) *plus* make sure you split the
volume control slider for the "Sound Mixer" channel you have a working
volume control .. :)
At least this is how it works here, with
"Kmix Panel Applet 2.6 (Using KDE 3.5.2)", and on Debian unstable ..

If I play with these apps there seem to be glitches, so they do not
seem to work "properly". But with a bit of fiddling between what KDE
calls "Sound Mixer" and "Kmix" (both actually seem to be part of the
same application, i.e. kmix) you should have a working volume slider

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on